Responsible To: Chief Executive Officer
Hours of Work
Approximately 10 hours per week. Weekend work (Saturdays) is required during September to June. Hours may vary from schedule to schedule depending on staffing needs but will always fall within any of the opening hours of the library. Library hours of operation are as per Board Policy #B01 and the “Hours of Work” for this position are adjusted according to this policy.
Efforts will be made to work with candidate to create an agreeable schedule.
Job Description Status
High school graduate preferred. A combination of education and experience may be considered. Customer service skills and proficiency with communications technology (mobile devices, printers/scanners, etc.) and the use of Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and other computer applications are assets. Must have a valid Vulnerable Sector Check or obtain one immediately after being hired.
The Casual Circulation Clerk works on a casual basis (as needed to cover staff absences, sick days, and vacations), with the main duties relating to the circulation of library resources. Part of the time is spent performing other tasks as follows, or as assigned by CEO or Assistant Librarian.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Operating the circulation desk (answering the phone, assisting patrons, checking material in and out, faxing, etc.).
- Open and/or close the library and secure the building.
- Process library materials as time allows.
- Shelving books and shelf reading as time allows.
- Light cleaning of the library space as time allows.
- Assist the public and enforce the Conduct in the Library policy to ensure safety within the library.
- Record all cash taken in daily and complete the daily cash count.
- Complete tasks according to daily checklists posted at the circulation desk.
- Complete community errands as requested by CEO/AL.
- Assist with special projects as designated by CEO/AL.
- Distribute incoming mail.
- Other duties as designated by CEO/AL.
Internal: Library employees, municipal staff
External: The public, Ontario Library Service-North and other community members