POSITION: CEO/Chief Librarian
We are looking for a Chief Executive Officer/Chief Librarian with excellent leadership, management, administrative and customer service skills.
The CEO/Chief Librarian provides strategic leadership, excellent budgeting skills and strong technological abilities while supervising library operations and services, all under the direction of the Board while also complying with the Public Libraries Act.
- Up to 18-mth contract, full time position starts May 2024
- Starting/probationary wage is $49.86/hr, 37.5 hrs per week
- Application Deadline: Resume and cover letters must be receivedno later than March 12, 2024.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email cover letter and resume addressed to;
Chief Executive Officer
Sioux Lookout Public Library
We thank all who apply, but ONLY those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Sioux Lookout Public Library will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with differing abilities. If selected to participate in recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform us of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require to ensure equal participation.
JOB TITLE: Chief Executive Officer / Chief Librarian
RESPONSIBLE TO: Sioux Lookout Public Library Board
HOURS OF WORK: 37.5 hours per week to accommodate programming and staffing. This position requires the occasional evening and weekend work and may require working outside of the library’s normal hours of operation.
Master of Library Information and Science or Certificate in Managing a Small Public Library (SOLS- EXCEL program) and/or a suggested minimum of 4-7 years of progressively responsible supervisory experience in a library setting and an understanding of the standards and legislation that apply to public Librarianship. Have a good understanding of information and information related technology and social media. Have a valid Vulnerable Sector Check.
The Chief Executive Officer/Chief Librarian is responsible for providing strategic leadership and vision to the Board.
The Chief Executive Officer/Chief Librarian administers, plans, organizes and directs all library operations and services under the direction of, and in accordance with, policies of the Board; advises the Board and makes recommendations concerning new policies and services; serves as the Secretary-Treasurer to the Board; sits on Board Committees (Finance/Personnel, Fundraising/Advocacy, Policy/Planning); serves as the Board’s representative to the community, to professional organizations, to the local municipal government, and provincial and federal government agencies.
Daily coverage of the circulation desk and circulation desk activities is required.
Creative leadership in developing programming delivery to the community and creating partnerships or liaison with other organizations.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
As the Sioux Lookout Public Library Chief Executive Officer:
- Under the Public Libraries Act, 1990, Chapter P.44, Section 15 (2): “A board shall appoint a chief executive officer who shall have general supervision over and direction of the operations of the public library and its staff, shall attend all board meetings, and shall have the other powers and duties that the board assigns to him or her from time to time.”
- Write library policies for Board approval. Advise the Board on matters of policy; recommend policies to meet the goals and objectives of the library and to meet the needs of the community for library services and facilities; review existing policies and recommend changes or additions to keep pace with changing needs; ensure policies comply with municipal, provincial, and federal requirements and legislation. Develop and enforce procedures for the implementation of Board policies and directives.
- Participate in Board Committee meetings, act as advisor to the committee, attend all meetings unless requested not to do so by the committee.
- Co-ordinate and participate in long term planning in conjunction with the Board, do an annual review of the strategic plan and prepare action plan(s) based on the overall plan.
- Undertake special projects and perform other duties as necessary to reach Library goals and objectives.
- Prepare a monthly report to the Board of items of concern or interest. Prepare and present an Annual Report to the Board.
- Administer, with the support of the Municipality of Sioux Lookout’s HR Manager, the human resources of the library.
- Represent the Library to, and liaise with, library agencies such as the Ontario Library Service and the the Federation of Ontario Public Libraries.
- Prepare and submit the Annual Survey to the Libraries Branch, Ontario Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries and represent the Library to, and liaise with, the ministry.
- As main contact under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act promote access to public information, process requests for information under the Act, secure the confidentiality of patron and staff records and submit an annual report.
- Administer the operation and maintenance of the Library’s facility and capital equipment.
- Represent the Library to, and liaise with, the CAO of the Municipality of Sioux Lookout and municipal staff.
- Survey, monitor and assess community issues, concerns and needs as they relate to the library.
- Approve and evaluate public relations activities to promote the library and its programs and services.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Board.
As the Sioux Lookout Public Library Chief Librarian:
- Plan, organize, implement and evaluate library programs and services; allocate resources to ensure the effective and efficient operation of the library.
- Approve the procurement of supplies, furnishings and equipment.
- Select and acquire materials for the library collection. Support the Assistant Librarian with the preparation and maintaining of a collection development plan.
- Ensure the collection is properly maintained, organized and made accessible to the public and that an effective collection control system is in place.
- Keep abreast of new developments in the field of librarianship.
- Develop strategies to meet the needs of the community for optimum library service.
- Maintains files of Library records and correspondence following legislative and board policy.
- Liaise with other community organizations to promote the library and to ensure the library services and programs are responsive to community needs. Participate, when possible, in community activities and events.
- Plan, co-ordinate and conduct on-going public relations programs to inform the public of the library and its services.
- Receive and respond to the public’s suggestions, problems, and complaints. Act as final mediator in disputes.
- Every two weeks prepare staff payroll and submit to the municipality’s Payroll Clerk for completion of the payroll process.
- Initiate, record and distribute minutes of staff meetings.
- Supervise and maintain weekly staff room monitoring.
As the Sioux Lookout Public Library Secretary and Treasurer to the Board:
- Act as Secretary to the Board; prepare and circulate agendas for Board and Committee meetings in consultation with the Board or Committee Chairperson; make necessary arrangements for Board meetings; record and distribute the minutes of Board and Committee meetings; conduct the Board’s official correspondence; maintain files of Board correspondence and activities.
- Ensure appropriate record keeping and retrieval systems are in place and are maintained in accordance of Board policy.
- Perform the duties of Treasurer to the Board in accordance with the Public Libraries Act and any other applicable legislation; receive and account for all the Board’s money; open an account or accounts in the name of the Board; deposit all money received on the Board’s behalf to the credit of those accounts, disburse money as described in the annual budget as approved by the Board.
- Serve as Signing Officer of the Board.
- Prepare the annual operating and capital budgets for submission to the Board; provide the Board with financial statements and other financial reports monthly or as requested.
- Ensure appropriate record keeping and retrieval systems are in place and maintained for all policies, minutes, financial records, and other corporate records.
- Make application fo, monitor and administer special grants.
Health and Safety
- Comply with all procedures and requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and other applicable legislation, regulations and guidelines.
- Ensure the working environment is maintained in a healthy and safe condition.
- Provide and participate in ongoing safety education, including but not restricted to WHMIS and First Aid.
- Report all incidents, injuries and health and safety hazards as required by policy or law.
- Advise all staff of the existence of any potential or actual danger to the health and safety of the staff.
- Ensure staff receive proper training and instructions prior to the commencement of work.
- Hire, manage, evaluate and promote staff in accordance with Board policy.
- Dismiss staff.
- Supervise all library staff.
- Recommend compensation levels and salary administration policies to the Board.
- Recommend salary level increases.
- Establish and maintain personnel practices in accordance with provincial and federal legislation for the hiring, training and development, performance evaluation, salary administration, discipline and dismissal of staff.
- Advise the Board on staffing requirements.
- Ensure staff are adequately and appropriately trained to deliver optimum public service.
- Prepare work and vacation schedules and authorize leaves of absence.
- Represent the staff to, and liaise with, the Board.
- If deemed necessary liaise with the Municipality of Sioux Lookout’s Human Resource Manager for help and support.